Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lost: Good or Bad?

LOST? Good or Bad?
It’s an interesting experience to revisit something you love after a long absence. When Lost was airing, I was one of those obnoxious fan boys who thought the show could do no wrong. I argued with people when they said it got boring halfway through. I would spend hours reading theories online and trying to piece together my interpretation of what was going on. Lost was, and still is, one of my all time favorite shows. This made it difficult when I began to see Lost talked about so negatively. I started to wonder if the show still held up or if I was blinded by nostalgia. I decided to re-watch the entire series for the first time in years to check it out.


My take on Lost is that it boils down to two primary themes, character development and mysteries. They are the pillars on which Lost was built. On one hand, you take all of these people from different walks of life, with their own baggage and desires in life, and literally drop them together on an island. There are power struggles, personal battles, personal relationship dynamics that are constantly being formed and broken. It really makes you wonder how you would respond to a trauma like a plane crash. On the other hand, you have all of these crazy mysteries thrown at these people. There’s a supernatural and often sinister vibe to this island and the more they discover, the more questions they encounter. The Dharma Initiative, the Others, the numbers, the smoke monster, they’re all pieces to this crazy jigsaw puzzle we were re assembling week by week.


I think the question of whether or not this is a good show largely depends on how well the viewer is satisfied with the end result of the character development and mysteries. As I mentioned, Lost will always be one of my favorites, but I also don’t want to just say it’s perfect, either. I decided to dive in to both sides of the argument. I picked four characters of Lost that exemplify what I believe to be good and bad examples of character development and mysteries. This way I am portraying an equal view of one of the most widely argued shows in existence, Lost. As far as a final verdict, good or bad? That’s the beauty of it, there’s no one right answer.

Click the links below to read my individual thoughts on the character development/mysteries

No comments:

Post a Comment